What you’ll do
The Staff Software Engineer 2 will typically enable an uplift on the impact generated by joining a small organization consisting of multiple teams. Guides and influences others either internally or externally to adopt a different point of view. His/Her work will often contribute significantly to the most important priorities of her unit.
Enabling delivery of multiple product improvements that are beyond “Large,” emphasis on the “Impact” dimension –either directly or indirectly (e.g.,by identifying and solving systemic technical or organizational challenges)
Key contributor to the organization’s strategic direction, influence on the PU’s direction. Ensures technical direction and decisions support company objectives and strategy–timely delivery of lasting results. Respected as enabler for success and individual growth by peers throughout TomTom.
You will be asked to deliver the following:
- Provide technical direction to the team to deliver solutions leveraging AI/ML, Cloud technologies to ensure highly automated, cost efficient, reliable and scalable systems for global map updates with fast cycle times
- Develop full stack applications/services/tools/script to process big data in AWS and Azure (Multi cloud environment)
- Own all aspects of the software solutions from architecture, design, infrastructure costs, tech stack, scalability, reliability, availability and performance
- Skilled in translating high level abstract business requirements into software design, designing systems specifications, standards and programming
- Contribute to Architectural blueprints and Design for the software solutions
- Lead and conduct build versus buy evaluations
- All the aspects of modern DevOps based development and practices like automate deployment processes and adequate test coverage by utilizing test framework
- Mentor team on engineering best practices such as writing clean code, designing scalable, reliable and performant software solutions, set and ensure compliance to software quality standards etc.
- Lead team on modern technologies and architectural best practices such as microservices and event-based architecture and guide them to reduce tech debt through refactoring, design for performance etc.
- Appreciation of highly distributed systems’ behavior and performance, and the ability to create and have the team deliver on non-functional requirements
- Be a role model for the team with innovative thinking, passion for continuous learning and contributions to Open source and encourage team members to keep learning and contribute to Open source as well
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills to work with a diverse, global set of internal and external stakeholders
- Lead the team to analyze complex problems and decompose them into logical parts to set the right prioritization to maximize business value
- Mentor junior engineers to develop quality code and review the design/code
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent field and must have 19+ years of experience with a proven track record in technical roles
- Proven track record of designing, developing and deploying complex architectural software solutions with high volume web-services using API protocols and data formats
- Proficient in API modelling languages and annotation
- Strong Analytical skills, troubleshooting skills with hands on experience with tools and techniques to do root cause analysis and ability to come up with win-win solutions in complex business situations
- Expert hands on knowledge of latest technology, good exposure to web technologies and open to all technologies (like but not limited to Cloud technologies, DevOps Principles, AI/ML, Java, Python, Scala, Spring, REST API, HTML/CSS3, PostgreSQL, or other databases, OS: Windows, LINUX etc.
- Hands on experience of handling (or at least being major part of) complex business situations and enterprise level software products
- Experience with cloud native architectures is a plus.
- Thinker – can come up with ideas and have the courage and perseverance to bring them to reality
- Put the team before self, believe in and build strong teams across units and rally team’s support for a cause
- Be open to new ideas, welcome diversity
- Lead from the front, empower his/her team(s) to take their own decisions
- Good Communication
- Active listening
- Challenge self and team
- Open to giving and receiving feedback
- Ability to coach and mentor people on technical topics
- Awareness and experience in working with multicultural, multi-locations teams
Meet Your team…
We’re Maps, a product unit within TomTom’s Location Technology Products technical unit. Our team is comprised of over 2,000 people in 40 countries – all driven to deliver the most up-to-date, accurate and detailed maps for the hundreds of millions of people using TomTom maps around the world. Joining our team, you’ll help continuously innovate our map-making processes, create a real-time closed loop between detected changes in the real world and the users’ map, and build maps that will enable the future of autonomous driving.
What we offer
· Competitive compensation package. · Work flexibility program (Working @ TomTom) - work from both home and the office!
· Home office benefits, with a setup budget and a monthly allowance to support.
· Chance to work abroad for 90-calendar days in select countries and states!
· Holiday package that includes your birthday off and a volunteering day per year.
· Bring your ideas and innovation to life during our Hackathon, DevDays, and more!
· Take on learning opportunities – internal programs, O’Reilly and LinkedIn learning.
· The opportunity to join one of the few top tech location specialists and have an impact on the future of mobility.
· Be part of a supportive, inclusive, and global culture.
After you apply
1. First call: If your application matches the role, then it’s time to put a voice to the name! We’ll call you to set up an interview.
2. First interview: In this interview, we want to know more about you – what excites you about location technology and how can you help us solve global challenges.
3. Second interview: We'll dive into your potential role, showing you how you’ll fit into your team and contribute to our vision.
4. The final decision: Cue the fireworks, because we’ll start the onboarding!