We’re SSO, which stands for Sensor Sourcing Operations. We are a central department in the Maps Sourcing organization. We take care of managing end to end (from solution creation to its operational management) various sourcing methodologies involving ‘sensors’ like Mobile Mapping, (our 360° panorama enabled vehicles), but also extended Floating Car data, and satellite imagery.
Our team covers the globe operating those technologies: we drive several millions of kms each year and collect millions of km² of data, all ending up as an update to our Navigation and High Definition maps used across multitude of applications ranging from Smartphones to automated driving.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager you will be working with a team of skilled, innovative and passionate engineers in creating cutting edge software solutions for sourcing data used to create and maintain digital maps. You will lead the team in creating breakthrough solutions, robust and scalable services using modern application development techniques in a multi cloud setup, advancing agile development principles and improving engineering practices.
You are responsible for the successful creation of ground-breaking software solutions by participating in various aspects of software development including technical requirements analysis, architecture and design, code reviews, automation and continuous delivery, while delivering customer value, with high quality along with continuous personal advancement.
More specifically you will:
- Apply skills and experience in technical leadership, with the ability to translate business requirements into robust and scalable software services.
- Orchestrate the design, development and delivery with high quality, performance and scale by ensuring timely execution and delivery.
- Develop, build, mentor and direct a world-class engineering team of 8-12 and cultivate a culture of executing high-velocity and high-class delivery by developing sustainable and scalable components.
- Hold primary accountability for the end results and deliveries of the team; have impact by exercising control over resources and planning.
- Define a long-term talent strategy across technologies.
- Have full management authority and accountability for the performance and end results of the teams within own area of specialty. This covers compensation, benefits and promotions.
- Create a safe and employee friendly environment where productivity, quality, transparency and openness are valued. Ensures alignment of TomTom values.
- Identify and solve technical and operational problems and address issues with impact beyond own team based on knowledge of related disciplines; understand and recognize broader impact across the department.
- Have the following technical responsibilities:
- Make key engineering decisions for a multi-million-dollar hybrid cloud infrastructure.
- Work directly with Azure/AWS cloud services as well as bare-metal, high-performance systems and private cloud solutions.
- Design and implement monitoring and alerting solutions to provide high service quality of our products.
- Design and implement the future sourcing technologies linked to our domain of responsibilities (front end, back end, workflows…)
- Contribute to the process of continuous global map updates by processing hundreds of streams of data from our mobile mapping solutions, including sensors (360° panoramic cameras, LIDAR, GPS, IMU).
What we expect from you
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent field, Master degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in technical leadership and people management experience.
- Thinker – can come up with ideas and has the courage and perseverance to bring them to reality
- Puts the team before self, believes in and can build strong teams across units and rallying team’s support for a cause
- Good communication, influencing, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Strong programming and problem-solving skills.
- Expert hands on knowledge of latest technology, good exposure to web technologies and open to all technologies primarily Python but not limited to that.
- Strong focus on code quality, clean architecture, self-organization.
- Experience with modern web frameworks (Angular/React/Vue) would be a plus.
- Experience with mobile development (Android) would be a plus.
- Very good exposure to DevOps concepts and tools, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Awareness and experience in working with multicultural, multi-locations teams.
- Fluency in English, Polish language a plus