You’ll move the world forward. Every day, we create the most innovative mapping and location technologies to shape tomorrow’s mobility for the better.
We are proud to be one team of more than 5,000 unique, curious, passionate problem-solvers spread across the world. We bring out the best in each other. And together, we help the automotive industry, businesses, developers, drivers, citizens and cities move towards a safe, autonomous world that is free of congestion and emissions.
What you’ll do
As a Principal Software Engineer:
- You will be working with a team of skilled, innovative and passionate engineers to create cutting edge software solutions for creating and maintaining global digital maps
- You will provide thought leadership to the team, to facilitate design and delivery of highly automated and scalable solutions to maintain the global maps database with the right quality standards.
- You will demonstrate multi-tasking skills to meet customer timelines under constraints
- You will coach and mentor the team on agile development principles and practices, create awareness and improve adherence to engineering best practices and will be responsible for the quality of the software delivered
- You will foster an open environment in the team, making team members comfortable in sharing ideas, expressing doubts and challenging each other in a healthy way, providing and accepting constructive feedback to build a highly performant team
- If you enjoy working in a dynamic and fast changing environment, please read on to know more about this exciting opportunity!
You will be asked to deliver the following:
- Provide technical direction to the team to deliver solutions leveraging AI/ML, Cloud technologies to ensure highly automated, cost efficient, reliable and scalable systems for global map updates with fast cycle times
- Develop full stack applications/services/tools/script to process big data in AWS and Azure (Multi cloud environment)
- Own all aspects of the software solutions from architecture, design, infrastructure costs, tech stack, scalability, reliability, availability and performance
- Skilled in translating high level abstract business requirements into software design, designing systems specficiations, standards and programming
- Contribute to Architectural blueprints and Design for the software solutions
- Lead and conduct build versus buy evaluations
- All the aspects of modern devops based development and practices like automate deployment processes and adequate test coverage by utilizing test framework
- Mentor team on engineering best practices such as writing clean code, designing scalable, reliable and performant software solutions, set and ensure compliance to software quality standards etc.
- Lead team on modern technologies and architectural best practices such as microservices and event based architecture and guide them to reduce tech debt through refactoring, design for performance etc.
- Appreciation of highly distributed systems’ behavior and performance, and the ability to create and have the team deliver on non-functional requirements
- Be a role model for the team with innovative thinking, passion for continuous learning and contributions to Open source and encourage team members to keep learning and contribute to Open source as well
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills to work with a diverse, global set of internal and external stakeholders
- Lead the team to analyze complex problems and decompose them into logical parts to set the right prioritization to maximize business value
- Mentor junior engineers to develop quality code and review the design/code
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent field and must have 13+ years of experience with a proven track record in technical roles
- Proven track record of designing, developing and deploying complex architectural software solutions with high volume web-services using API protocols and data formats
- Proficient in API modelling languages and annotation
- Strong Analytical skills, troubleshooting skills with hands on experience with tools and techniques to do root cause analysis and ability to come up with win-win solutions in complex business situations
- Expert hands on knowledge of latest technology, good exposure to web technologies and open to all technologies (like but not limited to Cloud technologies, DevOps Principles, AI/ML, Java, Python, Scala, J2EE, Spring, Rest API, HTML/CSS3, Oracle, PostGreSQL, or other databases, OS: Windows, LINUX etc.
- Hands on experience of handling (or at least being major part of) complex business situations and enterprise level software products
- Thinker – can come up with ideas and have the courage and perseverance to bring them to reality
- Put the team before self, believe in and build strong teams across units and rally team’s support for a cause
- Be open to new ideas, welcome diversity
- Lead from the front, empower his/her team(s) to take their own decisions
- Good Communication
- Active listening
- Challenge self and team
- Open to giving and receiving feedback
- Ability to coach and mentor people on technical topics
- Awareness and experience in working with multicultural, multi-locations teams
Meet Your team…
We’re Maps, a product unit within TomTom’s Location Technology Products technical unit. Our team is comprised of over 2,000 people in 40 countries – all driven to deliver the most up-to-date, accurate and detailed maps for the hundreds of millions of people using TomTom maps around the world. Joining our team, you’ll help continuously innovate our map-making processes, create a real-time closed loop between detected changes in the real world and the users’ map, and build maps that will enable the future of autonomous driving.
We are self-starters who play well with others. Every day, we solve new problems with creativity, meet new people and learn rapidly at our offices around the world. We will invest in your growth and are committed to supporting you. In everything we do, we’re guided by six values: We care, putting our heart into what we do; we build trust (you can count on us); we create – driven to make a difference; we are confident, but don’t boast; we keep it simple, since life is complex enough; and we have fun because life’s too short to be boring.
After you apply
Our recruitment team will work hard to give you a meaningful experience throughout the process, no matter the outcome. Your application will be screened closely and you can rest assured that all follow-up actions will be thorough, from assessments and interviews through your onboarding.
TomTom is an equal opportunity employer
We celebrate diversity, thrive on each other’s differences and are committed to creating an inclusive environment at our offices around the world. Naturally, we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, national origin, genetics, or age.
Ready to move the world forward?
For the full story about the vacancy or procedure, please click on www.tomtom.com/careers
Online assessments and pre-employment screening are part of the selection process.