"Local getaways, staycations, holidays nearby are the vacation of choice this summer. And after weeks of remaining indoors, now is the time to venture out into the world and #GetBacktoGO." - Robyn Bonnin, RoadTrips by TomTom
To some, the idea of a local getaway is nothing new; to others, a last-minute staycation needs some explaining. If that is you, not to worry, we have your back!
Here, we have put together our top tips and local getaway gems to help you make the most of your staycation.
Local Getaways 101
Do not over think it! Vacations are supposed to be fun, so make planning part of that fun.
For many of us, traveling far from home is not an option. So, now is the time to get reacquainted with your local surroundings and rediscover the reasons you fell in love with your region.
To get some quick inspiration for where you can holiday locally, we have put together the top five routes for the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, and Portugal.
Each of these routes is jam-packed with local hotspots and hidden gems for you to explore and enjoy with your loved ones. From staycations along the UK’s Atlantic Highway to Germany's Baltic Sea Coast, we have got you covered!
If you are feeling extra creative, you can always give it a go and create your own getaway road trip using our Roadtrip Planner . Add scenic segments, fun stops, or activities along the way to make the most of your staycation adventure this summer.
On-the-road Essentials for Every Staycation
We asked the awesome team at TomTom to come up with their on-the-road must-haves and put together a dummy-proof staycation checklist for you. So make sure to prepare and stock up on these getaway essentials before heading out for adventure:
- Song list - Topping our list of RoadTrips essentials is a set of viby tunes for your staycation journey! With the help of our community, we put together our own Spotify Playlist. Take 30 minutes with the fam to make a list of your favorite tracks for your time together on the road. If you are more into podcasts or audiobooks, opt for those instead. Just make sure that your idea of fascinating works with those you are traveling with.
- Snacks and drinks! You cannot forget snacks and drinks! Just pack a small cooler and restock it along the way. There is nothing worse than a hangry passenger (or driver).
- A camera and notebook - Capture all of your adventures on the road. Whether it be through photos, videos, or journaling, keeping memories from your staycation is a must!
- Protection from the elements - Sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellant, an umbrella, and a raincoat. With it being so incredibly sunny these days, it is super important to protect your skin with sunscreen (yes, you can get a sunburn while driving). Some fancy shades or a hat are also a nice touch. That said, humidity is usually a sign of an oncoming thunderstorm. Be prepared! Take an umbrella and a raincoat.
- Pit stops - Take a breather and stretch your legs every couple of hours. If you are using any of our TomTom devices, it is easy to plan stops before you set out and to find stops along the way. Walk around, refuel (your vehicle and yourself), get more snacks, then get back on the road ready for the next stretch of your journey.
- Charger - Solar powered, USB, or battery pack, remember to bring along whatever portable power sources you have! With all the devices we consider necessary, a couple of spare batteries and vehicle-friendly chargers are a must.
- A pillow and blanket - If you are traveling with kids, a couple of comfy blankets will be well-received. And hey, if you and your travel companions are dividing up the driving, take a nap whenever it is not your turn behind the wheel. Trust us, a pillow and blanket are the difference between a solid snooze and annoying neck pain.
- Navigation device - you had to know this was coming. Trust us though, some of the silliest arguments get started over disagreements about directions. Check the section below or our Navigation devices page for more information.
- Travel documents - No matter where you are going, having these with you is always a good idea! Keep a small folder with your ID, driver's license, and vehicle and health insurance.
Bonus essentials! Hand sanitizer and some washable face masks. With these, you are well equipped to make the most of whatever you are doing during your staycation.
How you get to your local staycation getaway is up to you. All our routes are OK for cars, caravans, and motorbikes. So #GetBacktoGO in your own style and at your own speed. To help get you there quicker, safer, and easier, browse our range of TomTom GPS sat navs for riders, drivers, and caravaners. With one of our TomTom GO GPS sat navs, you can effortlessly sync your staycation route and go!
While we have yet to get the all clear, we are still excited to start our summer travel planning. Easing back into all this post quarantine has turned our attention to local getaways, to the places between where we live and where we so often spend our holidays. Before we get back into the wilds of some remote corner of the Earth (and we will), join us in staycationing and spending summer holidays nearby on local getaways. Do it as a warm-up before more intrepid travel, do it for all the local businesses who could use a boost, and do it just because you can.
Be sure to look to us for guidance there and back! You can follow @tomtomdrivers on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube for more tips and travel inspiration.