How TomTom tech supports Autoware’s open-source platform
Successful automated driving cannot happen without proper implementation of location technology. For self-driving vehicles to travel to their final destinations efficiently and safely they need precise, detailed maps that are constantly updated. And to ensure AD systems have the latest maps, they need a specific delivery service that can be easily integrated into the vehicle.
At TomTom, we provide both: high-definition (HD) maps and the TomTom AutoStream delivery service, which efficiently delivers the most recent and relevant HD map content to in-vehicle systems from the cloud.
TomTom joined the Autoware Foundation as a Premium and Steering Committee member, contributing our HD map data and AutoStream service. In this partnership, AutoStream directly delivers map updates to the relevant Autoware.AI modules – allowing users to scale and enhance their AD applications by accessing TomTom's global coverage of HD maps.
How Autoware gives automated driving a boost
So, exactly what features does Autoware’s open-source software offer? Supporting numerous vehicle platforms and available under the Apache 2.0 license, Autoware includes the following modules:
- Localization: Achieved by 3D maps and SLAM algorithms in combination with GNSS and IMU sensors.
- Detection: Implemented by cameras and LiDARs that use sensor fusion algorithms and deep neural networks. This helps vehicles detect obstacles and the surrounding traffic environment.
- Prediction and planning: Driven by probabilistic robotics and rule-based systems that partially use deep neural networks.
- Control: Defines the motion of the vehicle with a twist of velocity, curvature and angle.
- Simulation: Provides a test environment for AD system features.
Collaborating for an automated future
Through testing and collaboration, the partnership between TomTom and the Autoware Foundation will continue to drive innovation forward. TomTom’s globally scalable map services and Autoware’s open-source platform are two of the many features that will make AD a reality in the future. Of course, this partnership is not complete without our key contributors that continue playing a huge role in the advent of automation.