In 2008, we expanded our research and that further strengthened the fact that drivers with navigation systems are safer. Specially, they are: more aware, less stressed, less distracted, safer and travel more efficiently.
The first authoritative and independent research in this area was conducted in 2006 by TomTom in the Netherlands. Now we have expanded our research, the latest results again prove the positive influence of satellite navigation devices on driving and traffic safety. The study was commissioned by TomTom and conducted recently in Germany, the UK, France, Spain, Italy and the US, by leading research institutions.
The key findings of the research were as follows:
- The use of satellite navigation devices heightens awareness and reduces the stress levels of the driver.
- The use of navigation devices reduces driver’s workload.
- The use of a satellite navigation device improves the driver’s behaviour when driving through an unknown area to an unknown destination.
- The use of a satellite navigation device reduces the number of miles driven when driving through an unknown area to an unknown destination.
- The use of satellite navigation devices reduces travel time when driving through an unknown area to an unknown destination.
We are pleased to see objective research further validate the fact that navigation contributes to driving safety and efficiency. This, of course, also shows that the use of navigation systems has positive effects on the environment and fuel costs.
Click here for more information about the research.