Announcing TomTom Start2: the best way to get started with navigation
Mar 30 2010
Announcing TomTom Start2: the best way to get started with navigationTomTom brings premium features to its entry-level device with the launch of TomTom Start2 London, 30 March 2010 – TomTom shifts car navigation up a gear today with the launch of the TomTom Start2, a smart new device that makes driving even more stress-free. New features include advanced lane guidance which makes light work of complex junctions. This feature displays all of the lanes clearly on the device, showing which one drivers should take – and helping to make navigation simpler and stress-free. New drivers and first-time sat nav users will especially appreciate the new spoken street names feature. Because the name of the street they’re entering is read out loud, they can keep their eyes on the road and still be sure of their location. What's more, the TomTom Start2 is fully compatible with RDS-TMC Traffic*. This transmits traffic information to the device, including what’s happened, the area it affects and the estimated delay. The device will also plan an alternative route, helping drivers get to where they want to be on time. And of course, like its predecessor, the TomTom Start2 has a simplified menu. There are just two options – ‘Plan route’ or ‘Browse map’ – for a hassle-free start to any journey. Drivers can also add a bit of spice to their device with StartSkins: fun changeable covers available in a variety of bright colours. And that’s not all: to calculate the optimum route and ensure the most accurate arrival time, TomTom’s innovative IQ Routes™ technology uses real historic car speed measurements from the roads, plus analysis of the time and day of travel. This can save time, as well as money and fuel. Lightweight, with a compact 9cm (3.5”) screen and featuring a semi-fixed, foldable mount, the TomTom Start2 fits right into a pocket, making it the ideal travel companion. Availability and pricing
The TomTom Start2 will be available from beginning of April. The recommended retail price is £119 for the device with a regional map and £139 for the device with a European map. StartSkins changeable covers are available from www.tomtom.com/startskins Notes to editors
TomTom Start2 new features include: • Advanced lane guidance – gives drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions.
• Spoken street names** – reads street names out loud, helping drivers to keep their eyes on the road.
• RDS-TMC Traffic compatibility* – transmits traffic information to the driver’s device, including a description of the situation, the location, the direction of traffic affected, the estimated delay and an alternative route. TomTom Start standard features include:
Easy to use
• Plug & Go – the device requires no installation. Simply plug in and tap the touch screen.
• Simplified menu – features two simple buttons: ‘Plan route’ and ‘Browse map’.
• Easy portability – a lightweight (128g) device with a 9cm (3.5”) screen. The semi-integrated EasyPort mount folds neatly onto the back of the device.
• Loud and clear voice instructions. Maps and best routing
• Latest map guarantee – ensures drivers start driving with the latest map. If a new map for the device is released within 30 days of first use, drivers can download it once for free via TomTom HOME.
• Map Share technology – allows drivers to make changes to their own map and benefit from thousands of corrections made by TomTom users every day, free of charge.
• IQ Routes technology – uses actual road speed data gathered over many years to calculate the fastest route anywhere and at any time of day. Enhanced safety
• Realistic visual instructions – replicates road signs, making them easier to follow.
• High-quality speaker – gives voice instructions at an adjustable volume.
• Help Me! menu – provides direct access to emergency numbers and directions to the nearest emergency providers. Accessories
• StartSkins – offers fun changeable covers and matching protective bags. StartSkins available in store: Flaming red, Ice blue, Electric green and Deep purple. Sunburst yellow and Flaming orange are also available from www.tomtom.com.
Priced at £14.99 per colour.
• Carry case,£19.99.
• USB car charger. * Requires RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver accessory and RDS-TMC subscription, sold separately.
** Spoken street names is not available in Nordics and Eastern Europe.