TomTom app for iPhone Named as CES Innovations 2010 Design and Engineering Award Honoree
Jan 07 2010
Concord, MA – January 7, 2010 – TomTom, the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, today announces that it has been named an International CES Innovations 2010 Design and Engineering Awards Honoree for its TomTom app for iPhone. Products entered in this prestigious program are judged by a preeminent panel of independent industrial designers, engineers and members of the media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting edge consumer electronics products across 36 product categories.
The TomTom app for iPhone features:
- TomTom’s award-winning turn-by-turn navigation software
- Text-to-speech which helps users to keep their eyes on the road by enabling street names and places to be read aloud as part of the spoken instructions
- Advanced Lane Guidance which gives drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions. For the first time this is in both landscape and portrait mode
- “Help Menu” which provides direct access to emergency numbers and directions to the nearest emergency providers
- TomTom’s unique IQ Routes™ Technology which calculates the best route possible based on time of day and day of week
- Latest Tele Atlas maps of North America
- Automatic rerouting in the event the driver misses a turn
- 6 million Points of Interest
- iPhone-style features such as multi-touch, pinch zoom and ‘navigate to contact’
“We are honored to be recognized by the Consumer Electronic Association as a Innovations Design and Engineering Award honoree,” said Jocelyn Vigreux, president of TomTom Inc. “With the TomTom app for iPhone, millions of iPhone users now have access to the same easy-to-use and intuitive interface, turn-by-turn spoken navigation and unique routing technology that our 30 million portable navigation device users rely on every day.”
The prestigious Innovations Design and Engineering Awards have been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976. It is sponsored by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, the producer of the International CES, the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow, and endorsed by the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), the voice of industrial design, committed to advancing the profession through education, information, community and advocacy.
The TomTom app for iPhone will be displayed at the 2010 International CES from January 7-10, 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase will feature honorees by product category in the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center.
The Innovations entries are judged based on the following criteria:
- Engineering qualities, based on technical specs and materials used
- Aesthetic and design qualities, using photos provided
- The product’s intended use/function and user value
- Unique/novel features that consumers would find attractive
- How the design and innovation of the product compares to other products in the marketplace
Products chosen as an Innovations honoree reflect innovative design and engineering of the entries. Examples may include the first time various technologies are combined in a single product or dramatic enhancements to
previous product designs.
Innovations 2010 Design and Engineering honoree products are featured on www.CESweb.org/Innovations, which lists product categories, as well as each product name, manufacturer information, designer, description, photo and URL.
- END -
For more information, contact:
Tel: (978) 405-1840
TomTom NV (AEX: TOM2) is the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps. TomTom NV has over 3,300 employees working in four business units – TomTom, Tele Atlas, AUTO and WORK.
TomTom's products are developed with an emphasis on innovation, quality, ease of use, safety and value. TomTom's products include all-in-one navigation devices which enable customers to navigate right out of the box; these are the award-winning TomTom GO family, the TomTom XL and TomTom ONE ranges and the TomTom RIDER. Additionally, independent research proves that TomTom products have a significant positive effect on driving and road safety.
Tele Atlas delivers the digital maps and dynamic content that power some of the world’s most essential navigation and location-based services (LBS). Through a combination of its own products and partnerships, Tele Atlas offers digital map coverage of more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. The AUTO business unit develops and sells navigation systems and services to car manufacturers and OEMs. WORK combines industry leading communication and smart navigation technology with leading edge tracking and tracing expertise.
TomTom NV was founded in 1991 in Amsterdam and has offices in Europe, North America, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. TomTom is listed at Euronext Amsterdam in The Netherlands. For more information, go to www.tomtom.com.
# # #