TomTom for iPhone App Now Features Multitasking and Latest Maps
Jun 23 2010
Concord, MA, June 21, 2010 – TomTom, the world’s leading provider of location and navigation solutions, announces that the latest version of the TomTom App for iPhone can be purchased on the App Store starting today. The TomTom App for iPhone version 1.4 is compatible with iOS 4 and, among many new features, now includes multitasking functionality* that allows users to receive turn-by-turn directions while their iPhone is running other Applications.
With version 1.4, TomTom has integrated several situation-specific multitasking capabilities to the App to ensure that users can continue to receive the best routing directions from their TomTom App even while they take advantage of other iPhone Applications:
- Seamless Navigation while Calling** – Users can now make and answer calls while navigating with the help of visual turn-by-turn instructions. With this feature, users see visual instructions even when they are on a call, so they never have to choose between making or taking a call and receiving continuous directions to their destination.
- Background Navigation Instructions*– Users can see other Apps on the screen while still receiving spoken turn-by-turn instructions from the TomTom App, while it operates in the background.
The latest version of the TomTom App for iPhone version 1.4 includes additional advanced features to enhance the navigation experience:
- New, Updated Maps – The TomTom App comes ready to navigate with TomTom's latest release of the industry's most-accurate and most-up-to-date maps. Because an average of 15% of road information changes every year, TomTom has continued to update the App with its latest maps to ensure users have the confidence of knowing that the directions they receive are the most accurate and efficient. Maps come pre-loaded with the App, so no data plan, mobile signal or roaming charges are required to browse the map or navigate to a destination.
- Route Sharing – Drivers can now send details of their current location, destination, and route to their contacts, via email. This feature provides an easy way to keep friends and family up to date on where a driver is, and where they are headed.
- Departure Reminder - Drivers can now receive departure reminders when they plan upcoming trips and add them to their calendar, so they will be prompted by their iPhone when it's time to get on the road.
- Eco-friendly Routing – Drivers can save money and reduce impact on the environment by driving with these more fuel-efficient routes. By using its advanced routing technology and the driving data of millions of TomTom users, the TomTom App can now provide a route option with a lower environmental impact.
- Car Symbols – Drivers can now personalize the car symbol on the driving screen by choosing the car icon, symbol and color that best meets their style.
“TomTom continues to deliver innovative solutions that enable users to reach their destinations while driving more efficiently and more safely,” said Tom Murray, senior vice president of market development for TomTom Inc. “We’re pleased to introduce the latest version of TomTom App for iPhone upon the release of iOS 4. Now iPhone users can benefit from TomTom's industry-leading navigation and, with its new multitasking functionality*, can also take advantage of other great iPhone features while they continue to receive uninterrupted guidance from the TomTom App."
With TomTom Traffic, TomTom App users receive real-time traffic updates and incident reports on their routes. As soon as any delay is found, users are notified and can be automatically re-routed to an alternate, faster route. TomTom Traffic for iPhone users is available via in-App purchase for an additional $19.99 for 12 months of service.
Availability and Price
The TomTom App for iPhone is available at the App Store. Continental and regional versions of the TomTom App for iPhone for iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch users are available today at http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app.
Pricing varies by region. TomTom is currently offering the U.S.A. and U.S. & Canada versions of the App at $49.99 and $59.99, respectively.
TomTom App for version 1.4 runs on OS 3.0 and iOS 4, however users should upgrade to iOS 4 to be able to take advantage of all of the new features.
* Available on iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3rd Generation devices, running iOS 4.
**iPhone 3GS only
For Public Relations, please contact:
Tel: (978) 405-1812
Financial Community Contact:
+31 (0)20 7 575 119
About TomTom N.V.
TomTom N.V. (AEX: TOM2) is the world’s leading provider of location and navigation solutions. Headquartered in the Netherlands it has over 3,000 employees worldwide. More than 40 million people use its solutions every day, in the form of dedicated portable navigation devices (PNDs), in-dash car systems or tracking and tracing solutions for fleet management. In addition, hundreds of millions of people use TomTom’s digital maps on the internet or mobile phones.
In 2009, TomTom reported €1.5 billion in revenues and a €340 million net cash flow from operating activities. More information about TomTom can be found at www.TomTom.com.